Ehrlich Student Loan Program
The Ehrlich Student Loan Program was made possible by a generous bequest from Mrs. Shirley Ehrlich to the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago in 2004. The program provides subsidized, low interest educational loans to Jewish students from the Chicago metropolitan area.
How It Works
The Ehrlich Student Loan program subsidizes the loan while you are enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited undergraduate and graduate program.You'll make no payments nor accrue any interest payments on your loan while enrolled in school.
- You must borrow a minimum of $5,000/year and a maximum of $10,000/year for up to four years.
- You will qualify for low interest rates upon repayment. (Rate: Prime - ¼ )
Can I Apply?
- To qualify for a loan you must be a Jewish resident of the metropolitan Chicago area.
- Undergraduates: Must have graduated from a high school in a county within the JF/JUF service area (Cook, Lake, McHenry, Kane, Dupage, and Will).
- Graduates: Same as undergraduates or you must have lived in one of the counties within the JF/JUF service area for one year before electing to further your education.
- You must be a full-time student pursuing undergraduate or graduate education at an accredited college or university within the United States.
- The college or university does not have to be located in Illinois.
- You must be able to document financial need by submitting your required documentation (listed on Application Cover Sheet).
What Happens Next?
- Once you have completed the Elgibility Forms (PDF), please send them via email to EhrlichStudentLoan@juf.org, via fax to 312-444-2086, or by mail to:
Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago
30 South Wells Street
Chicago, IL 60606
- If eligible, you will receive a loan application from the Ehrlich Student Loan coordinator. Once the application is submitted, you will be notified of your approval within two days. If you have not received confirmation within this time frame, please contact the Ehrlich Student Loan office.
- You must reapply for the Ehrlich Student Loan each year you wish to receive it.
- Each semester, you will receive an email from Ehrlich Student Loan facilitators requesting confirmation of enrollment, your graduation date, and any other changes in your address, financial circumstances, and academic plan.
- You must begin to repay your Ehrlich Student Loan six months after graduation. You will have up to 10 years to complete principal and interest payments. Remember, any interest accrued while you were a student will have been paid off by the Ehrlich Student Loan fund through the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago.
Please contact Rachel White at 312-357-4995 with any questions.