Jewish Word Glossary
abbr. = abbreviated
esp .= especially
Heb. = Hebrew
lit. = literally
n = noun
pl. = plural
pron. = pronounced
usu. = usually
v = verb
Yid. = Yiddish
- (Heb.) father
- lit.=the last ones: post-Rishonim commentators in the Talmud
- Persian king in Book of Esther
- 6th Jewish month (Feb-Mar), 14th is Purim
- "but, in actuality..."
- (Heb.) red
- Adon Olam
- "Master of the World," a concluding hymn
- "Ad Mosai"
- "Until when?"; "How long until Moshiach arrives, and we must endure this suffering?"
- last bit of matzah, eaten at end of Seder
- non-legal rabbinic writings
- lit.=chained one: wife of an M.I.A.; woman whose husband refuses to grant a divorce
- (Heb.) love [n]
- (Yid.) refined, socially graceful
- (Yid.) grandchild
- "It is Upon Us," a concluding hymn
- the Hebrew alphabet
- al kiddush HaShem
- for the sanctification of G-d
- alav hashalom
- "(May he/she) rest in peace."
- lit.=ascent: immigration to Israel (accent on last syllable); ascent on the bimah when called to have the Torah read in one's honor (accent on the second syllable).
- (English+Yid.) social climber
- am ha'aretz
- lit.=nation of the land: ignorant person
- lit.=standing: long prayer said while standing
- lit.=explainers: Gemarah-era commentators (200-500 C.E.)
- lit.=stander: lectern, podium
- Ani Ma’amin
- lit.=I believe: phrase that begins each of Maimonides’ Thirteen Principles of Faith
- (Heb.) English langauge
- lit.=Epicurean: unbeliever, skeptic; heretic
- willow sprigs, used on Succot
- arba kanfos
- lit.=four corners: tzitzit
- Arba Kanfos
- The Four Corners of the Earth
- lit.=land: Israel
- (Yid) wasted
- aron (hakodesh)
- (the holy) cabinet for Sefer Torah
- Artzrot HaBrit
- lit.=Land of the Covenant (i.e. Constitution): Israeli name for the U.S.A.
- Aseret HaDibrot
- lit.= The Ten Declarations: The Ten Commandments
- Aseret Yimei Teshuva
- The Ten Days of Repentance between Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippur, a time of introspection and semi-mourning
- of Eastern European Jewish tradition
- "Fortunate Are," a popular alphabetic prayer (Psalm 145)
- Asoroh B'Tevet
- winter fast for Babylonian siege of Jerusalem
- prohobitted under halachah
- event held the Shabbat before a wedding, the throwing of candy, etc. at a groom after he reads the Haftorah
- 11th Jewish month (Jul-Aug), 9th is Tisha B'Av
- (Heb.) father of...
- sin; transgression of a "shalt not"
- lit.=air-thing: airplane
- work [n], esp. in service of G-d
- avodah zarah
- lit.=strange work: idolatry
- (Heb.) tired, sleepy
- marital engagement
- (Heb.) eye
- ayin harah
- lit.= evil eye: hex, jinx, curse
- ayshet chayil
- a woman of valor
- Ayshet Chayil
- the entire last chapter of Proverbs, sung on Erev Shabbat and at weddings, describing a "woman of valor"
- lit.= thus: "Really?"
- "Azoy geyt doz!"
- lit.=thus goes this: "That's how it goes!"