Jewish Word Glossary
abbr. = abbreviated
esp .= especially
Heb. = Hebrew
lit. = literally
n = noun
pl. = plural
pron. = pronounced
usu. = usually
v = verb
Yid. = Yiddish
- half-baked, silly
- (Heb.) bride
- (Heb.) cold
- Common Era
- see "Lubavitch"
- holiday, esp. a religious one
- (Heb.) life
- "G-d forbid!"
- braided egg bread for Shabbat and holidays
- lit.=cholera: (Yid.) crazy one, someone running amuck
- (Yid.) dizzy, faint
- pioneer; early Israeli settler, esp. on kibbutz
- (Heb.) hot
- (Yid.) punch, hard hit [n]
- leavened products forbidden on Pesach
- winter holiday for defeating the Syrian Hellenists
- Chanukah menorah
- "Chap nit!"
- lit.=don't grab: "Not so fast!" "Wait your turn!"
- lit.=trembling: fervently practicing Orthodox Jews
- Seder condiment of chopped apples, walnuts, and wine; recalls mortar made by Hebrew slaves in Egypt
- "Chas v'sholom"
- lit.=mercy and peace: "G-d forbid!"
- chasana/ chatuna
- chasid (pl. chasidim)
- member of an Orthodox Jewish sect
- (Heb.) friend
- study partner or group
- chaya (ruah)
- (wicked) wild animal
- lit.=valorous, valiant one: soldier
- state of excommunication, shunning
- Chaim Yankel
- An "average Joe"
- abbr. of Chachomim, Zichronom L'Vracha: our Sages, may their Memories (be) for a Blessing.
- (Yid.) disgusting stuff, trash
- claim of ownership based on repeated use
- religious lesson, or where it's held
- (Heb.) kindness
- lit.=accounting: bill, invoice, check (at a restaurant)
- cheshban nefesh
- lit.= accounting of the soul: soul-searching self-evaluation
- 2nd Jewish month (Oct-Nov)
- chevra kadisha
- lit.=holy association: burial society
- innovation; revelation
- chilul HaShem
- lit.=defamation of the Name: an act or statement that reflects badly on G-d (and the Jewish community).
- early childhood education
- lit.=obligated: one to whom an honor is due in shul
- (Heb.) wisdom
- chochom (pl. chochomim)
- sage; wise one
- chochom b'laila
- lit.=a sage at night: said of those who think they are smart, yet no one else can "see" it.
- lit.=new (moon): month
- Chol HaMo'ed
- middle 4 days of 8-day holidays, esp. Pesach and Sukkot; rules of the holiday apply, but work is permitted.
- (Heb.) sick, ill
- 24-hour stew for Shabbat, holidays, etc.
- (Heb.) darkness; (Yid.) depression; calamity
- lit.=considerable: important
- choson/ chatan
- (Heb.) groom
- (Yid.) horseradish
- activity group
- lit.=five: The Five Books of Moses
- wedding canopy
- destruction, ruin [n]
- sass, moxy; nerve, gall
- Israeli non-affiliated Jew
- Jew forced to convert under the Inquistion; a modern descendant living in the southwest U.S.