Jewish Word Glossary
abbr. = abbreviated
esp .= especially
Heb. = Hebrew
lit. = literally
n = noun
pl. = plural
pron. = pronounced
usu. = usually
v = verb
Yid. = Yiddish
- head of a Babylonian yeshiva; composer of the Talmud
- rabbi's synagogue assistant during prayer service
- gadol (hador)
- lit.=great person (of the generation): leader, esp. in religious sense
- lit= rolling: the northern, grassy, hilly part of Israel
- lit.=exile: where the Diaspora lives
- gam ze ya'avor
- lit.=also this will pass: "This, too, shall pass"
- gam zu l'tovah
- lit.=also this for good: "Everything happens for the best"
- Gan Aiden
- The Garden of Eden
- thief; clever person
- gan k’tanim
- lit.=garden of (the) small (ones): kindergarten
- (Yid.) whole, entire
- gantze megilla
- (Yid.) the whole story
- gantze mishpocha
- (Yid.) the whole family
- (Yid.) belt, sash (from same word as "girdle")
- lit.=bigness: (Yid.) the "big deal"
- (Yid.) blessed
- (Yid.) pleasing
- gefilt croht
- stuffed cabbage
- gefilte fish
- fish cakes (originally stuffed in fish skin)
- gei avek
- lit.=go away: "Get out of here! Scram!"
- gei gezunterheit
- "Go in good health"
- gei feifen afen yam
- lit.=go whistle over [the] sea: "Go entertain someone else!"
- gei in dr'erd
- lit.=go in the earth: "Drop dead!"
- rolling and re-clothing of Torah scroll after hagbah
- (Yid.) money, esp. as Chanukah gift
- commentary on the Mishna
- Jewish numerology based on numerical value given to Hebrew letters
- gemilut chasadim
- acts of kindness
- storage/burial for worn-out, but holy, papers, books, etc.
- genug (shoyn)
- (Yid.) "Enough (already)!"
- convert [n]
- lit.=(lip-)smacking: tasty
- (Yid.) business
- (Yid.) cry, shout, yell [n]
- divorce document
- lit.=scream: "Oh, wow!"; "Oh, no!", "Help!"
- powerful, worthy of a cry of "Oy, gevalt!"
- (Yid.) healthy
- (Yid.) good health
- lit.=smooth: highest level of fleishig kashrut
- (Yid.) good fortune
- lit=cabbage stalk: (Yid.) useless one
- Goldena Medina
- lit.=Golden Country: the United States
- automaton; mindless one
- one who has just undergone a dangerous experience
- (Yid.) neck
- (Yid.) nothing, emptiness
- gornisht helfen
- lit=nothing helps: (Yid.) "Forget it.";"It's hopeless."
- "Dear G-d!"
- small, crunchy bits of fried chicken skin, eaten as a snack
- Purim noisemaker
- lit.=gross: (Yid.) large (but not necessarily disgusting)
- grubber yung
- lit=grubby youngster: ill-mannered adolescent, punk
- gutteh voch
- lit.=good week: (Yid.) "Have a nice week," a post-Havdalah greeting