Jewish Word Glossary
abbr. = abbreviated
esp .= especially
Heb. = Hebrew
lit. = literally
n = noun
pl. = plural
pron. = pronounced
usu. = usually
v = verb
Yid. = Yiddish
- lit.=adolescent stuff: worthless things or activities
- pride, esp. parental pride for children
- (Heb.) miracle
- lit.=prince: head of Biblical tribe or Sanhedrin
- ascetic abstainer from wine, haircuts, and contact with death
- (Yid.) "(Such) a pity!"
- pitiful person
- (Heb.) pity
- nechtiker tog
- lit.=yesterday's-day: "Forget it! It's history."
- (Heb.) soul (as it interacts with the physical realm)
- the southern, desert part of Israel
- lit.=closing (of the gates): final prayer on Yom Kippur
- ner tamid
- lit.=forever candle: eternal flame, esp. in shul
- (Heb.) soul (as it interacts with the DIvine)
- netilat yadayim
- the washing of the hands, esp. before eating bread
- biblical writings and stories of Prophets
- prophecy; prophetic ability
- lit.=exempt: deceased
- tune to which liturgy is sung; wordless melody sung by chasidim
- Nine Days
- days of mourning leading up to Tisha B'Av
- 7th Jewish month (Mar-Apr), 15th starts Pesach, 27th is Yom HaShoah
- nisht geshtoygen und nisht gefloygen
- lit.= (it) doesn't climb and (it) doesn't fly: "Your idea is unsupported"; "Nonsense!"
- lit.= not good: (Yid.) a good-for-nothing person
- lit.= not hard: "So-so", "Not bad"
- nisht gerferalach
- lit.= not dangerous: "Don't worry about it; it's nothing"
- nit gedeiget
- lit.= not to worry: "No worries! Everything's great."
- after, still; even
- lit.= another time: "Again!"; "Encore!"
- lit.=again-dragger: follower; hanger-on, coat-tail rider
- a good-for-nothing person
- (Yid.) name [n]
- snack [n,v]
- snack foods; silly, time-wasting stuff
- (Yid.) "So?"
- pest [n], to pester [v]
- lit.=nausea-maker: (Yid.) unthinking, inconsiderate person
- version of liturgy-- wording, melody, or both