Jewish Community SNAP Challenge
I will participate in the Jewish Community SNAP Challenge from March 7-13, 2014 according to the guidelines set forth below:
- Each person can only spend a total of $29.40 on food and beverages during the Challenge week - this translates to $4.20 per day, or $1.40 per meal.
- All food purchased and eaten during the Challenge week, including fast food and dining out, must be included in the total spending.
- During the Challenge, eat only food that you purchase for the project. Do not eat food that you already own (this does not include spices and condiments).
- Avoid accepting free food from friends, family, or at work, including food at receptions or coffee in the office.
- Please keep track of receipts on food spending and take note of your experiences throughout the week.
- Share your experience by writing an op-ed for your local newspaper, blogging for the JUF Hunger Awareness Project website, advocating for feeding programs, volunteering and more.
- Donate the additional money you would have spent on food during this week to a local food bank or anti-hunger advocacy organization (optional).
Note: You may find it difficult to complete the Challenge due to schedule or the limited budget. It will still be important and worthwhile to track your experiences.