About Jewish Learning
Commitment to Education
The JUF Chicago community supports a wide variety of educational opportunities, enabling children, adults and families to learn about Jewish heritage and develop an affiliation with Jewish communal life. Many studies have demonstrated that day school, Hebrew school, Jewish camps and Israel trips have a tremendous impact on fostering Jewish identity.
Funding Jewish Education
The majority of Jewish educational institutions in Chicago receive funding from the JUF Annual Campaign and nearly 25% of JUF allocations are dedicated to Jewish education and continued learning. Search the JUF Directory of Services to learn about educational opportunities in the Chicagoland area.
JUF Dollars Fund Education:
- JUF supports day schools with annual allocations and special grants, and by loaning or guaranteeing multi-million dollar loans.
- By establishing day school endowments and contributing to a community-wide supplemental fund, JUF works to reduce day school tuition.
- Above and beyond our annual allocations, JUF raises money for bricks, mortar and special programs for day schools.
- JUF provides scholarships and special grants for all types of educational initiatives.
- In order to expand educational programming in congregations, JUF augments synagogue resources.
- Working in partnership with congregations and families, JUF orchestrates financial incentive and scholarship programs to enable parents to send their children to summer camps and Israel Experience programs.
Education In Israel
JUF funds Jerusalem's Pardes Institute of Jewish Studies, where students with diverse backgrounds immerse themselves in the study of classical Jewish texts. Students participate in either short- or long-term educational programs that deepen their personal connection to our Jewish heritage and to Israel.
Shalom Hartman Institute
JUF supports the Shalom Hartman Institute research and leadership training institute, which is committed to revitalizing Judaism and strengthening Jewish identity by providing scholars, rabbis, educators and leaders of all denominations with tools to address the central challenges facing Judaism today.
JUF provides significant funds to Progressive, Masorti, Modern Orthodox and Transdenominational outreach programs that help foster different approaches to strengthening Jewish Identity.