What's New at Government Affairs?
JUF State Government Affairs ACTION ALERT
Support SB 1761 -- Stand Against Companies Seeking to Economically Isolate Israel by Calling House of Representative Members TODAY!!
House Sponsors: FEIGENHOLTZ, McSweeney, Lang, Sente, Drury, Anthony, DeLuca, Harris, Franks, Soto, Chapa LaVia, Phelps
YOUR HELP IS NEEDED! Illinois could become the first state to adopt legislation countering the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement. We are calling upon YOU for your support. Your voice can make a powerful impact on the outcome of this bill. Please take action now.
WHAT:Modeled on earlier state legislation that divested from Darfur and Iran,
SB 1761 requires the State of Illinois’ pension systems to divest from foreign companies that boycott Israel or are Iran-restricted companies and Sudan-restricted companies. This bipartisan bill also creates an Illinois Investment Policy Board that will be responsible for overseeing the state’s existing
operative divestment laws.
For more details, please see the
HOW YOU CAN HELP?
Call you legislators today and let them know:
- At the core of the BDS movement is a quest to delegitimize Israel as a Jewish state.
- Illinois residents will not tolerate the investment of any pension tax dollars in a company that chooses to engage in a boycott against Israel.
- Contrary to its opposition, this bill does not infringe on anyone’s free speech or association rights. Individuals and companies are free to engage in political boycotts.
WHO SHOULD YOU CALL OR EMAIL?
Call or email your state representative today with the following message:.
“Take a Stand Against Companies Seeking to Economically Isolate Israel and vote YES on SB 1761 when it comes up for a vote.”
If you do not know who to call, find your rep
Questions?Contact Mara S. Ruff, Associate Director, State & Local Government, JUF/JF at (312) 357-4868 or MaraRuff@juf.org
What We Do
- Work with health and human service organizations to develop partnerships and alliances that benefit the Jewish community;
- Orchestrate and present legislative initiatives on behalf of vulnerable populations in Chicago;
- Collaborate with JCRC on community relations and international issues; and
- Promote public-private partnerships to strengthen combined advocacy.