Genocide in Darfur
In the Darfur region of Sudan, government-sponsored militias are killing, raping and torturing innocent men, women and children. Hundreds of thousands have already died and hundreds more continue to die daily. Over 2 million people have been displaced from their homes. They now live in camps without enough food, water, medical care or safety.
As Jews, we have a particular moral responsibility to speak out and take action against ethnic cleansing and genocide... Today, in Darfur, Sudan, crimes against humanity are taking place. And yet, the international community is doing little about it. We must respond while there is still time. We must save as many lives as we can.
- Send a Save Darfur e-mail message
- Call President Bush at 202-456-1414 and let him know that you are concerned about what is happening in Darfur and that you want the United States to demonstrate the necessary leadership to end the conflict.
- Educate yourself. Read about what is happening in Darfur
- Donate Money to a humanitarian aid organization like Jewish Coalition for Sudan Relief or American Jewish World Service.
- Tell at least one friend, family member or co-worker about Darfur and why they should take action.
- Host a parlor meeting to educate your friends.
- Attend rallies in your community.
- Suggest an informational program be held in your synagogue.
For more information, contact JCRC at 312-357-4770 or email@example.com.
News on Darfur
- Sudan's 'Coordinated' Genocide in Darfur Is Over, U.S. Envoy Says, June 18, 2009, The Washington Post
- Sudan leader denies Darfur crimes, May 12, 2009, BBC News
- Darfur rebels get death sentence for 2008 attack, April 26, 2009, Reuters
- Group rallies against Darfur crisis in Chicago, April 19, 2009, abc7chicago.com
- JEM rebels reject regional initiatives to end Darfur conflict, April 13, 2009, Sudan Tribune
- Obama Can Make a Difference in Darfur, April 12, 2009, The Wall Street Journal
- Darfur expelled relief groups forewarn epidemic, spill-over into Chad, March 12, 2009, Sudan Tribune
- Court Issues Arrest Warrant for Sudan’s Leader, March 4, 2009, The New York Times
- A President, a Boy and Genocide, March 4, 2009, The New York Times
- 3,600 More Peacekeepers for Darfur, October 29, 2009, The New York Times
- Sudan Arrests Militia Chief Facing Trial, October 13, 2008, The New York Times
- Accusations Against Leader of Sudan Fuel Debate, September 29, 2008, The New York Times
- UN: Human Rights Violations in Sudan's Darfur Province Worsening, September 16, 2008, VOAnews.com
- Indictment of Sudanese Leader Seen as Threat to Peacekeepers, July 20, 2008, The Washington Post
- Sudanese Protest War Crimes Case Against President at Scripted Rally in Capital, July 14, 2008, The New York Times
- UN pulls back staff from Darfur, July 14, 2008, BBC News
- Sudan Leader To Be Charged With Genocide, July 11, 2008, The Washington Post
- A Wide-Open Battle For Power in Darfur, June 20, 2008, The Washington Post
- US Presidential Contenders Make Joint Sudan Statement, May 28, 2008, VOA News
- Sudan cuts ties with Chad after rebel attack, May 11, 2008, Reuters
- Changing the Rules of the Games, March 30, 2008, The New York Times
- Death toll of 200,000 disputed in Darfur, March 28, 2008, msnbc.com
- Creating a Peace to Keep in Darfur, March 27, 2008, Center for American Progress
- Cross-country caravan targets Chinese involvement in Darfur, March 26, 2008, Boston.com
- Interpreter of Maladies, March 23, 2008, Washington Post
- Scorched-Earth Strategy Returns to Darfur, March 2, 2008, The New York Times