Report raises nuclear monitoring concerns
The U.S. Government Accountability Office, an independent, non-partisan agency, released a report Tuesday, Feb. 23 raising concerns about the ability of the IAEA to monitor and verify Iran's obligations under the JCPOA. Read more.
Renewed Iran Community Action Plan
The Board of Directors of the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago issued a statement on August 14, 2015.
UN atomic agency closes Iran nuclear investigation
by Steven Dishler - December 17, 2015
The UN’s International Atomic Energy Agency’s (IAEA) Board of Governors voted Tuesday to close its decade-long investigation into Iran’s suspected program to design a nuclear weapon. The action means that some allegations about the weapons project may never be answered.
Analysts present positions on Iran nuclear agreement
by Ceren Maeir - July 23, 2015
What does the recently released nuclear agreement with Iran (Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action) bode for Israel, America and the American Jewish community?
Some 100 delegates of JUF's Jewish Community Relations Council and other community members gathered at JUF on July 20 to hear three different perspectives. Speakers included Ambassador Dennis Ross, fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy and former special assistant to President Obama; Jon Wolfsthal, senior director for Nonproliferation for the National Security Council; and Roey Gilad, Consul General of Israel to the Midwest.
Keep the end goal in sight: Iran never getting a nuclear bomb
July 14, 2015
The Jewish United Fund of Metropolitan Chicago today released the following statement regarding the announcement of an agreement between the P5 + 1 - the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, China, Russia - and Iran on Iran's nuclear program:
The threat of the Islamic Republic of Iran ever obtaining nuclear weapons is a matter of the gravest concern to our community and the world. The effort to reach an accord between the P5 + 1 countries and Iran reflects that concern and the goal of all peace-loving peoples: preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons.
That objective has informed our advocacy efforts for the past two decades. In 2007, JUF's Jewish Community Relations Council (JCRC) unanimously passed its Action Plan to Combat the Threats Posed by Iran , aimed at educating and mobilizing both the Jewish and broader community. Such efforts led to the successful passage of Iran divestment actions by the State of Illinois , Cook County and the City of Chicago , as well as other actions.
Diplomacy strengthened by sanctions, rather than war, remains our strong preference and the wisest course.
**Read the full text of the Iran agreement, Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action
- Third Time the Charm for Reform in Iran? by Patrick Clawson. March 4, 2016. (The Washington Institute)
- Debating the Iran nuclear deal by Robert Einhorn. August 2015. (Brookings)
- Israel and the Iran nuclear deal: 'Chronicle of a failure foretold?' by Emily B. Landau, Shimon Stein (The Institute for National Security Studies)
- Breakout timelines under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action. August 18, 2015 (Institute for Science and International Security)
- Decoding the Iran agreement part 2: Jon Wolfsthal. August 13, 2015 (Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists)
- VIDEO: The Regional Impact of Additional Iranian Money. August 13, 2015 (The Washington Institute)
- There is a Path to a Better Deal with Iran by Robert Satloff. August 13, 2015 (The Washington Institute via The Atlantic)
- Clarifying a 'No' vote on the Iran nuclear agreement. August 10, 2015. (The Washington Institute)
- The Iran Nuclear Deal: A Definitive Guide. August 2015. (Belfer Center for International Affairs)
- Assessing the Iran nuclear agreement and the Washington Institute's Iran Study Group June 24 policy statement. August, 4, 2015. (The Washington Institute)
- What U.S. officials required; what the Iran deal concedes. July 28, 2015. (The Foreign Policy Initiative)
- Israel confronts the Iran nuclear deal by Michael Herzon. July 24, 2015 (The Washington Institute)
- Why Israelis strongly oppose the Iran deal by Ofer Bavly, Director of JUF's Israel Office (JUF News)
- What's really wrong with the Iran nuclear deal by Robert Satloff. July 14, 2015 (The Washington Institute)
- The Nuclear Agreement with Iran: Reflections and Forecasts (The Institute for National Security Studies)
- Analysis from the Center for American Progress
- Public statement on U.S. policy toward the Iran nuclear negotiations. June 24, 2015 (The Washington Institute)
Statements from U.S. officials on the JCPOA
- President Obama webcast to the Jewish community. August 28, 2015
- President Barack Obama statement on the Iran agreement, July 14, 2015
- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on the Iran agreement. July 15, 2015
- Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid on the Iran agreement. July 14, 2015
- House Speaker John Boehner on the Iran agreement. July 14, 2015
- House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi on the Iran agreement. July 16, 2016 (The Hill.com)
Statements from Israeli officials on the JCPOA
- PM Netanyahu's address to the Jewish Federations of North America. August 4, 2015.
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu statement on the Iran agreement, July 14, 2015 (The Times of Israel).
- Israeli Opposition Leader Isaac Herzog, Chair of the Zionist Union party, on the Iran agreement. July 14, 2015
Statements from elected officials representing Illinois on the JCPOA
Contact your member of Congress! Find their contact information.
Support the Iran Agreement
Opposed to the Iran Agreement
- Sen. Mark Kirk (IL)
- Rep. Bob Dold (IL-10)
- Rep. Adam Kinzinger (IL-16)
- Rep. Peter Roskam (IL-6)
- Rep. John Shimkus (IL-15)
Statements from Jewish organizations
- Jewish Council for Public Affairs (JCPA)
- Jewish Federations of North America
- Union for Reform Judaism
- Council on Foreign Relations
- Gatestone Institute
- Harvard University's Belfer Center for International Affairs
- The Institute for National Security Studies
- United Against Nuclear Iran
- The Washington Institute
Positions on Iran nuclear agreement
- 9 reason to support the Iran deal by Graham Allison. August 4, 2015. (The Atlantic)
- John Kerry and Ernest Moniz: The case for the nuclear deal with Iran. July 22, 2015 (The Washington Post)
Oppose the Iran Agreement
- How to put some teeth into the nuclear agreement with Iran by Dennis Ross and Gen. David Petraeus. August 25, 2015 (The Washington Post)
- No room for improvement by Robert Satloff. August 19, 2015. (The American Interest)
- Following the problematic nuclear agreement: Scenarios and policy recommendations by Amos Yadlin. July 20, 2015 (INSS)
- Israeli Ambassador Ron Dermer: The four major problems with the Iran deal. July 14, 2015 (The Washington Post)
- What should Obama do next on Iran? by Nicholas Burns. September 1, 2015. (The New York Times)
- 10 Question for President Obama About Iran by Jeffrey Goldberg and Robert Satloff. August 27, 2015 (The Atlantic)
- Congress Can Rewrite the Iran Deal. August 12, 2015 (The Wall Street Journal, subscription required.)
- Op-Ed: Obama is dog-whistling about Jews? Ridiculous by Alan Solow. August 14, 2015 (JTA.org)
- Why Iran's Anti-Semitism Matters. August 11, 2015. (The Atlantic)
- #JFedTalks: Iran nuclear agreement webcasts
- The nuclear accord with Iran: The day after by Professor David Menashri. July 30, 2015. (The Alliance Center for Iranian Studies)
- What information collected by Israeli Intelligence reveals about the Iran talks by Ronen Bergman. July 29, 2015. (Tablet)
- The Iran deal and the rut of history. July 27, 2015 (The Atlantic)
- Why war isn't inevitable if Congress rejects the Iran nuclear deal. July 24, 2015 (The Wall Street Journal)
- The Iran deal and the Hubris of uncertainty. July 24, 2015 (JTA.org)
- Dennis Ross: Iran deal leaves U.S. with tough questions. July 14, 2015 (The Washington Post)